Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

August Art: Louise Bourne Lydia Cassatt Scott Goldberg Rebecca Haley McCall

Blue Hill, Maine - The Blue Hill Public Library is pleased to announce the opening of the August show, “The Fab Four”: Louise Bourne, Lydia Cassatt, Scott Goldberg and Rebecca Haley McCall on Friday, August 3, 2012, 4:30 to 6:30 PM. The exhibition continues through August 31st.
Here is what the four artists say about their work:

Paintings of baseball by Louise Bourne: “Years of watching youth baseball provides an excuse to paint. I love the gestures, the geometry of the field, the afternoon light on ears and skin.”

Pastels by Lydia Cassatt: “For many years, I have worked from memory. I am able to capture a quality of light when I work without the distraction of weather, bugs and changing conditions and I gather my images from my daily walks and living in this beautiful place. In the last year, I have had a renewed interest in working outdoors and have been making small, charcoal drawings on site.”

Ceramics by Scott Goldberg: “ I see myself as a “classical” potter in the sense that my work derives from a long tradition of pottery making whose primary purpose was to fill a practical need. The need dictated the form, and that some of these old pots are also beautiful and alive to us is, I believe, due to the manual/visual skills and sensitivities of individual anonymous potters. With this heritage in mind, I try to make pots that feel good, look good, and function well.

Landscape paintings by Rebecca Haley McCall: “These paintings are little pieces of Maine, from Blue Hill, Washington County and Mohegan Island -- the woods, the water, the weather, a Maine camp, a favorite barn . . . when the light falls in a certain way on these places, I am moved to paint them.”

A portion of the proceeds from the sales of artwork will benefit the Library. The Blue Hill Library is funded as an independent non-profit organization.  It relies heavily on the generosity of donors to meet its annual operating budget.  The show will be open for viewing Monday through Saturday in August during Library hours.  For more information, please visit www.bhpl.net or call the Library at 374-5515.

No comments:

Post a Comment