Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

FRANKLIN EARNS FIRST OLYMPIC MEDAL



Missy Franklin and Matt Grevers earned a spot atop the podium Monday (July 31), re-writing
the record books while claiming gold in the women’s and men’s 100-meter backstroke
events. Franklin’s time of 58.33 was an American record, while Grevers’ touched the wall in
an Olympic record-time of 52.16.
Overall, the U.S. swam away with four medals on the third night of competition at the Aquatic
Centre, with Nick Thoman and Rebecca Soni picking up silvers in the men’s 100 backstroke
and the women’s 100 breaststroke.
So far, the U.S. has collected 12 medals in London, marking a total of 500 Olympic medals
in the pool since the advent of the modern Olympic Games in 1896. The next closest team,
Australia, has accumulated a total of 153 medals. Franklin’s gold medal-winning performance
helped the U.S. realize that legacy on Monday.
“I’ve dreamed about this moment my whole life,” Franklin said. “I can’t believe it just happened.
I just can’t put it into words. It’s absolutely indescribable. After imagining it happening
for so long, it’s unbelievable.”
Franklin’s time bettered the previous American record of 58.95, which she set at last month’s
U.S. Olympic Team Trials. Monday’s swim also marked the third straight time an American
woman has won the 100 backstroke at the Olympic Games. Teammate Natalie Coughlin
won the event in 2004 and 2008.
Franklin’s win came on the heels of a tough double. She also swam in the semifinals of the
women’s 200 freestyle – just 13 minutes before the start of the 100 backstroke – qualifying
eighth for tonight’s finals.
“I love doing back-to-back doubles like that,” Franklin said. “It’s fun. I don’t have time to get
nervous.”
In the men’s 100 backstroke, Grevers was in control the whole way, overcoming a five-hundredth-
of-a-second deficit to France’s Camille LaCourt at the turn and powering his 6 foot,
7 inch frame home for the win. His teammate Thoman was sixth at the wall and crept up on
the field for the silver in 52.92.
“I kind of saved my legs on the first 50 to make sure I had a good dolphin kick off that wall,”
Grevers said. “I don’t think it’s hit me yet. I feel great right now and just want to share it withmy whole family.”
This marks the second straight Games that Americans have gone 1-2 in the men’s 100 backstroke.
Grevers won silver in the event at the 2008 Games behind teammate Aaron Peirsol,
who set the former Olympic record at 52.54.
“I thought it was really cool,” Thoman said. “The first thing I wanted to do was give him a big
hug, so I jumped over the lane rope and gave him one.”
Soni swam her typical race in the women’s 100 breaststroke. Touching sixth at the wall, she
separated herself from most of the field and closed the gap on leader Ruta Meilutyte in the
final 50 meters. In the end, she ran out of room, and Meilutyte out-touched Soni for the gold
by eight-hundredths of a second, 1:05.47 to 1:05.55. Fellow USA teammate Breeja Larson
placed sixth in 1:06.96.
Soni also won silver in the event at the 2008 Games. Monday marked the first time since
then that she lost the race at a major international competition. Still, her performance was her
fastest time this year.
“I thought I was in good enough position to win,” Soni said. “I was close but no cigar. I can’t
say I was completely satisfied because it was so close, and I gave it my all. I’m just happy to
get on the podium for Team USA.”
Heading into the Games, the men’s 200 freestyle was billed as one of the most competitive
fields of the meet. It lived up to the hype.
France’s Yannick Agnel, the hero of last night’s men’s 4x100 freestyle, jumped out to an early
lead, leaving the rest of the pack to jockey for position through the last 50 meters. Lochte
was in second for a time, but the rest of the field moved up on him coming down the homestretch.
Agnel took gold in 1:43.14, while Lochte finished fourth in 1:45.04, marking the first
swimming final where the U.S. walked away without a medal in these Games.
Americans swimming in semifinals Monday included Allison Schmitt in the women’s 200
freestyle (2nd, 1:56.15); Missy Franklin in the women’s 200m freestyle (8th, 1:57.57); Michael
Phelps in the men’s 200 butterfly (4th, 1:54.53); Tyler Clary in the men’s 200 butterfly (5th,
1:54.93); Caitlin Leverenz in the women’s 200 IM (3rd, 2:10.06) and Ariana Kukors in the
women’s 200 IM (4th, 2:10.08). The top-eight swimmers in each event will compete in tomorrow
night’s finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment