Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Rising Musician Mary Sarah

Our newest "Musician Spotlight" this Friday is on a 15 year old country singer that goes by the name of Mary Sarah of Franklin  Tennessee.

Not many just-turned 15-year olds are invited on stage by a legendary group like the Oak Ridge Boys to sing acappella. The captivated audience in Galveston’s prestigious Opry sat enraptured… then came thunderous applause and a standing ovation for Mary Sarah’s rendition of the 1961 Connie Frances hit, “Where the Boys Are,” a song that most artists of her tender age would not even attempt, much less, know.

At 12, Mary Sarah toured the U.S. for 6 months as a featured lead vocalist and dancer in KidzBop®, a Razor & Tie Records and Vee Corporation production, produced by Michael Anderson in Los Angeles. This was an 18-song rock concert from Kidz Bop albums, which to date have racked up 7 Gold albums, with “kid-friendly” cover versions of hits. The experience from performing in front of 4-6,000 kids per show defined her stage presence and earned her national and global popularity.

After the Kidz Bop tour, Mary Sarah returned to Texas and began performing in local and regional Opry Theatres, Town Squares and Charity fundraisers.

Like many top country artists, Mary Sarah’s first performances were in church at age 8. One advantage of living in Texas is the presence of hundreds of country radio stations and numerous regional Opry Theaters and Mary Sarah has performed in almost all of them multiple times, paying tribute to her heroes – the legends of country music.

The ISC, Inc. (International Songwriting Competition) Founder/Director, Candice Avery, has placed Mary Sarah in the Top-Ten, TEEN CATEGORY, for her self-penned song “A New Crush,” which was chosen from 15,000 entrants, making this an extraordinary achievement.

Mary Sarah has also been awarded by Musicati Inventor/Co-developer, Troy Stacy, a $50,000 promotion package servicing 20,000 digital juke boxes throughout North America, beginning April 1, 2011 for her first CD titled, CRAZY GOOD, recorded at age 14.


Mary, when did you start singing?
When I was 10 I started to sing at church.  My dad is a music guy and when he heard me sing with a natural vibrato, he told my mama "go get her some lessons".  So we got some piano lessons also, and my piano teacher put me in touch with a real vocal coach - Mr Tom McKinney and the word started going around about my singing.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Well as long as I can remember I've been singing.  I even sang my homework!  I drove my parents nuts by singing all the time so I guess you can say I was just wired to sing!

Are there challenges being in school and pursuing a singing career?
Yes, especially now that we've moved to Nashville - and I have a huge project coming out soon.  We had to move here to get everything finished up and I am attending Brentwood High School (GO BRUINS!) and love it. I've already made some good friends!

Does your parents and friends support you?
You know they all do really!  I've not received too much bullying stuff like so many others have - I just get up and sing and let my music talk for me. My family is totally behind me 100% - my sister and I write together and play music, my brother does my website stuff, Mom is the tour bus driver and Dad jams and writes with me.  We do duets too!

Do you write your own songs?
I do yes, but I also LOVE singing others great songs.  I LOVE to cowrite and learn from amazing writers like @lauraveltz @jessiejodillon @RLHofficial and @CourtneyDashe - we come up with some amazing stuff!

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
A great song has to be about something true I think.  Like my song New Crush - we saw "the prettiest boy that we'd ever seen" at a Taco Bell in Bastrop, TX and BOOM!  We wrote a song about him.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
I sang "The Yellow Rose of Texas" at a piano recital in Richmond, TX and YUP super nervous!  My first really big crowd was for the Pearland Cowboy Church where I sang "Crazy" and got a standing ovation just before I went on tour with KidZBop.  The Kidzbop shows had up to 8000 people at them!

Where have you been able to perform?
All over the country with the KidzBop World Tour.  All over Texas with Opry's and Festivals.  Now my ability as a National Anthem Singer is taking me to huge venues like Professional Baseball, Football, NASCAR, NHRA and other patriotic events!

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
Oh man.  Patsy Cline, Taylor Swift, Martina McBride, Adele, Train, Jesus, my Parents, friends, Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Jason Mraz, Justin Bieber...so many!

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Wow.  I would LOVE to sing the anthem for the Super Bowl!

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
Opening for Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift would be SO cool.  Heck also, the country legends like Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Ray Price or Loretta Lynn!? So many I'd love to sing with!

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I want to be a voice for people who don't have the ability to be heard, if that makes sense - my brother battles Type 1 Diabetes and I want my music to reach people and help others with this disease. I truly believe a song can change the world.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I'd love to build homeless shelters called "Manors of Love" across the country filled with safe places for people with live music and shelter and food.

Mary, do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
It takes time.  Be patient.  Be thankful when you get a stage and always respect it!  It's you chance to make a fan, a friend and touch a heart :)  Hard work beats talent if talent won't work hard!  Never give up! Sing as loud as you can wherever you can!  Hug people a lot!

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
Please be praying for the HUGE project we have coming out that we get it all completed on time!  Prayers work!

Mary has some great songs you can listen to by going to her Facebook page by clicking here. You can find more about this great singer Mary Sarah on her official website by clicking here. We can't wait to see where Mary's singing career takes her.

Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Mary Sarah as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

1 comment: