Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Singer/Songwriter Bria Kelly

This Friday we bring you an all new Musician Spotlight featuring a wonderful 16 year old singer/songwriter who goes by the name of Bria Kelly.

Bria Kelly is a 16-year-old Virginia native and honor roll student who has been performing since age 11.

Bria began her career in 2007 by singing our National Anthem for the Norfolk Admirals.  She sang for the Admirals many times, and also for other local and regional sports teams, the Air Force and Navy, and for local law enforcement and veterans’ organizations.  In 2007, at age 11, she won the Philadelphia Eagles’ National Anthem competition, and performed the Anthem for 45,000 Eagles & Jets fans at an NFL football game in Philadelphia.  She has also performed the Anthem for the Washington Redskins and Baltimore Orioles.  She has performed the Anthem at major concerts featuring Miranda Lambert, Travis Tritt, Craig Morgan, Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts, Rodney Atkins, Tracy Lawrence, Heidi Newfield, REO Speedwagon, Darius Rucker, and Sara Evans.  In all, Bria has performed the Anthem over 40 times to a combined audience of over a quarter-million people.  Bria was the first official performer of Nashville’s CMA Music Fest 2010 by singing the Anthem there.

Bria appeared and provided vocals in a music video of one of Grant Austin Taylor’s songs (Make This Love Last), which was selected as a top-64 entry for CMT.COM’s 2008 Music City Madness competition, and which is still featured on their site as one of their favorite “honorable mentions”.

Bria won Altavista, Va’s 2009 Colgate Country Showdown singing contest and competed in the state finals.  Bria won Altavista’s 2011 Texaco Country Showdown contest, and went on to win the West Virginia-Virginia State Finals.

Bria won Eagle97’s (WGH-FM) WinterBlast Challenge contest in February 2011, and as a result, she was featured by Eagle97 throughout 2011, and opened WinterBlast 2012 at the Hampton Coliseum with a 30-minute set on the main stage.

Bria won The Performers of Hampton Roads competition, produced in association with SKY4 TV.  Bria performed her original song (“May Her”) at Chrysler Hall during the first-ever Hampton Roads Gala.

Bria performed at Nashville’s Cadillac Ranch in 2008, and returned to perform during CMA Music Fest 2009.  Bria has appeared on TV - on a Nashville cable TV show, Nashville Spotlight, and also locally on WTKR-TV regarding her Philadelphia Eagles performance, and also for a local benefit show.  She has performed for Relay For Life, and for many other political, civic and charitable groups.  Bria kicked off the City of Norfolk’s 25th annual Grand Illumination Parade in 2009, where 100,000 people heard her sing throughout the streets of Norfolk, VA.

In 2012, Bria was selected by NBC to appear on the “America’s Got Talent” special YouTube/Snapple show, where she was voted through after performing “Gunpowder and Lead” by Miranda Lambert.  She performed again on the first semi-finals show, singing “Perfect” by Pink.  Unfortunately, no singers were voted though to the finale show.

Bria writes original songs and plays the guitar, and during 2009 was the lead singer for The Bria Kelly Band.  Bria became the lead singer for CoastLand, which opened for country star Craig Morgan.  She is currently appearing with her close friends and fellow musicians Logan Flurry, Carson Burch and Andrew Ballard as “Bria Kelly and Friends”, performing a wide variety of music.

Bria has performed solo, and also as part of a duet, at many venues and festivals, and performed solo at both the Nashville Palace and The Listening Room in Nashville during CMA Music Fest 2010.  Performing acoustically, she has opened for country stars Darius Rucker, Miranda Lambert (twice), Gloriana, Clay Walker, The Carter Twins, Jerrod Niemann, Ashton Shepherd, Little Big Town and Josh Kelly.

Bria, when did you start singing? 
I started singing in elementary school choruses and such, but really got serious with solo performing when I turned 11 and started doing the national anthem locally for the Norfolk Admirals and other sports teams, and Air Force and Navy.  I also won the Philadelphia Eagles' National Anthem contest that year (2007) and performed the Anthem for 45,000 Eagles-Jets fans at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.  I also joined a karaoke singing/dancing group then, but their emphasis was mostly on the dancing and not on the singing, so I left that to start my own band and play live music my way.
Was it your dream to be a singer?
I didn't really think about it until I started getting very positive feedback about my voice.  But gradually, I realized I had some kind of gift that I could possibly use for a career in singing.  Right now, I know it's what I want to do with my life.

Are there challenges being in school and pursuing a singing career? 
Oh, yes!  Sometimes, I must be removed from school to perform a gig or appear somewhere.  Those absences make me miss class instruction.  And my band rehearsals and gig appearances themselves mean I have less time for homework or studying.  Everything competes for my available time.  But I have been on the honor roll every year throughout school, and I intend to keep that up!

Does your parents support you?
Very much so - they are a major reason I am successful in what I do.  While I concentrate on music, they are working on getting gigs, scheduling rehearsals, coordinating my wardrobe, updating my web site, and a ton of other stuff that I don't have time for.  My dad also is my sound guy at gigs, setting up the PA and mixing everything.  I appreciate them VERY much for what they do for me.  I wouldn't be where I am without them.
Do you write your own songs?
Yes, I do.  I started writing songs a few years ago, and I always have a few that I am developing.  My early songs were not that great, but I have been writing better songs (at least that's what my fans tell me!) recently.
If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song? 
I'm not really sure.  Sometimes I start with lyrics, and sometimes music.  Events in my persona llife also cause me to write songs.  When I hear a great song, I find myself singing the chorus or verses for days afterwards, so I guess a great song has a catchy part that people want to keep repeating themselves.  A great song can also convey an intense emotional (or even funny) theme which causes people to remember it.  Whatever great songwriting elements are, they result in a song that people want to hear again and again, and that they sing or repeat themselves.  If any songwriter knew what makes a great song, they would be rich!
Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first local gig was singing the Anthem for the Norfolk Admirals.  I stepped out on the ice and performed it like I had practiced.  My dad was out on the ice with me, videotaping the whole thing.  It's still up on YouTube somewhere.  I was scared but also very excitied.  When I sang "land of the free", I held "free" a very long time, and people just loved it, so I always do that when I sing the Anthem even today.  They gave me a great round of applause and I then got to watch the game.  It was a great night!
My first BIG gig was singing the Anthem for the Philadelphia Eagles.  My dad sent in an audition CD and I was one of 25 acts selected to come to Philadelphia to audition in person for them.  After the 25 acts all performed their auditions, I was selected the winner!  My prize was to return a month later and sing for 45,000 people at an actual NFL game between the Eagles and the NY Jets.  I was terrified because I had never performed for that many people before!  There was a television camera pushed in my face while I was singing.  It was scary and thrilling!  I've attached a picture of this cause it was so cool!
Where have you been able to perform?
Wow, it's been all over the place!  Besides performing locally at bars and restaurants, fairs and festivals, at school, and in my local little theater (I was in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoast" as one of the kids when I was 8), some of the farthest (from Virginia) places I have performed are: New York City, West Virginia, Tennessee, and Los Angeles.  I was the first official performer of CMA Music Fest 2010 when the Chairman of the CMA introduced me in front of Bridgestone Arena in downtown Nashville and I performed the National Anthem there.
Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
SO many people!  I do like songwriters who have unusual or 'deep' lyrics.  I like songwriters who are able in the music and lyrics to convey a special feeling.  So, I love John Mayer, Amos Lee, Taylor Swift, and Peter Bradley Adams, as examples.
If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I think performing at LP Field during CMA Music Fest would be GREAT!  I have been there a couple of times to watch concerts and it's THE biggest and best stage in the world as far as I am concerned!  Plus, they televise the show later and everyone in the country can see you!
Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
I would love performing with John Mayer, because he is an amazing musician and he really connects with his audience.
What are some of your goals for your Music?
I hope to make a decent living through my music.  If I don't make it as a performer, I have always been around music and pretty deeply involved with it, so I would enjoy doing something within the entertainment industry.  I hope to go to a university in Nashville and study songwriting or music business.
What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I hope to prove myself worthy as a peer to those working musicians who have come before me.  I want to inspire others to do the same thing, and I have already heard from many people who have told me that if an ordinary girl from Smithfield, VA can appear on an extremely-popular nationwide television show, well, maybe they will try to as well.  It's been very gratifying to hear that I have inspired others to go for their dreams.
Bria, do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Well, for kids starting out singing and performing, sing EVERYWHERE you can.  Go after every opportunity to sing.  Usually, when you're young, this means the national anthem as a prime method of getting your voice out there.  But also compete in school and county fair talent shows.  Anywhere where YOUR voice will be heard as a solo act.  Choruses are OK I guess, but they don't really let individuals shine.  And that's what you need to do.  YOU need to shine.  Make sure your performances are put on YouTube for others to watch and listen to.  And pretty soon, you'll develop a following if you're good.  If you have issues with your voice, find a good voice instructor who will help you develop your voice and help you perform the types of songs YOU want to perform.
For songwriting, it's different.  First, if you don't play an instrument, you really need to learn one.  Guitar or keyboard is best.  Songwriters who don't play at least one instrument are at a disadvantage.  Then if you feel the songs and can write them, just do it.  If you don't have a clue how to write songs, then find a songwriting class at a local community college or see if there is a NSAI chapter in your area (Nashville Songwriters Association International) - they're not just about writing country songs - they help everyone write whatever songs they want.  There are also all kinds of songwriting books and web sites you can access to learn.  There are SO many aspects to songwriting, it's way too much to go into here.  There is a "Dummies" book about songwriting, and also a good book I recommend called "101 Songwriting Wrongs and How to Right Them" by Pat and Pete Luboff.
Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
Just that I love the feeling of being on stage and getting the postitive feedback from the audience.  It's a rush!  I miss America's Got Talent already, and I am contemplating doing another singing competition reality show.  So, you may see me on TV again!

Last question, how was your experiences on being a semi-finalist on Americas Got Talent?
Eye-opening!  I had never been associated with a national TV production before and just seeing how they got through each aspect of the process was fascinating.  There was wardrobe, hair and makeup to decide.  Song choice, orchestration, and stage choreography.  There was set design and the total "look and feel" of what was going to be shown on stage to the national audience.  Also, what they call "camera blocking", where you perform your act on stage and they decide which camera is going to be shooting you at each portion of your act.  Then there was also what they call "B-Roll" or your background video, where they interview you and that is shown right before each act performs live on stage.  And rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals!  It's much like a human machine, where you enter at one point a week before your show, and then you are popped out the morning after your show!  I met a lot of very talented and unique people and I already miss them a lot!  I hung out with Drew Erwin, Edon and Andrew De Leon backstage a lot.  They were really cool to talk to and get to know.

You can find Bria Kelly on the web by going to her official sites listed below:

Official Website: http://briakelly.com

We here at Rocky Coast News can't wait to see where Bria's singing/songwriting takes her. Please keep an eye and ear out for this great Singer/Songwriter.

Photographs in this article credit goes to East Beach Photography & MelBee Photography.

Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Bria Kelly as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment