Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Peter Jones Exploring and Photographing The Underground World

New photos from under the Guadalupe Mountains by cave photographer Peter Jones, June 20

 Local potter and photographer Peter Jones has been exploring and photographing the underground world for 44 years. He spent two weeks in April photographing in eight different caves under the Guadalupe Mountains of New Mexico. He has an abundance of new and gorgeous images taken with new techniques. “Come explore that extraordinary world from the comfort of your own seat,” he says. Jones will present the slide talk at the Camden Public Library at 7:00 pm on Thursday, June 20.

Bear Skull Pink Panther Cave.
 He says, “Caving (no, it is not called spelunking by those of us who are serious about it!) has been a big part of my life since I went into my first wild cave in 1968 while at the University of Denver. I knew then it would be a lifelong pursuit, though I never would have guessed that it would be such a wonderful vocation for me as well. Although I am a potter by trade, I find my cave-related business is growing year by year. How incredibly fortunate I am to have found two things in my life that produce a living income for me and fulfill my creative desires as well.”

 In a message earlier this spring, Jones wrote, “I am currently sitting in Hut 8 at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, getting ready for the second day of the cave photography workshop I am teaching. Been here for about two weeks of cave photography in other caves in the High Guads. Many, many new photos to tease and tantalize with. Here are a few of the new ones. Looking forward to it!”





No comments:

Post a Comment