Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Statement from Portland Mayor Ethan Strimling

Portland, Maine - Portland Mayor Ethan Strimling offered the following statement in reaction to local election results.

"I'd like to offer my  ​ heartfelt  congratulations to Pious Ali and Brian Batson, newly elected to serve on the City Council. All of the candidates in both campaigns served to inform the electorate, highlight the issues that Portlanders care about most, and shed light on the bold solutions needed to address them. I'm excited to roll up my sleeves with Councilors-elect Ali and Batson and continue to work toward a Portland that works for all of us. I also want to offer my thanks and appreciation to Councilors Suslovic and Hinck for their long service to Portland and for advancing many important causes relating to environmental, transportation, and public health issues.

I also congratulate School Board members Anna Trevorrow and Laurie Davis on their reelection. I look forward to partnering with them and the entire Board of Education to ensure our kids have the 21st century learning environments they deserve.

Finally, I want to express my sincere gratitude to the City staff and scores of volunteers who worked so hard to ensure that Portlanders were able to exercise their civic duty. And exercise it they did. With reports of record numbers of neighbors voting in this election, the residents of Portland have joined together to form  ​ a  ​ resounding chorus that shows the power of an electorate hungry for bold action.

Public service is a calling; and all candidates, regardless of party or position, victory or defeat, deserve our thanks for attempting to make Portland a better place to live and do business. There is much work to be done. Tonight, I could not be more optimistic about our city, it's residents and the people chosen to represent them at all levels of government."

No comments:

Post a Comment