Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Mary Kate Farmer Interview

In San Antonio, Texas there is a talented 16 year Singer/Songwriter that self taught herself to play guitar. We recently had the opportunity to interview 16 year Singer/Songwriter Mary Kate Farmer.

Mary, when did you start singing?
I first began singing at the age of two, shortly after I began talking. We have a home video of my singing "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion at age two and half! Putting on shows for my family was always a thing I loved to do. However, I didn't start to perform in public on stage using my original songs that I have written till November of last year.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
In a way yes. I've always wanted wanted to be on stage whether it be singing or dancing. I'm so thankful I am able to live out my dream!

Tell us about your style of singing?
I sing a very different genre of music which I call a Country-Rock-Pop cross over. It takes the country twang and adds a modern rock twist!



Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Most definitely. One of the hardest things is balancing school and music. The late nights are hard because of school the next day, but its definitely well worth it.

Does your parents and friends support you?
My parents are so supportive and I'm so blessed and couldn't ask for anything better. As far as friends go, that's one thing I've struggled  with. I have a couple very close friends who support me every step of the way but as for some others its hard for them to see this as something that I want to do for the rest of my life. So I have lost a lot of friends along the way. But I know that it's what I want to do so I keep my head up and keep doing what I'm doing!

Do you write your own songs?
Yes, I  write all of my own original music.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
Two words. Personal experience! some wise words I've learn to keep in mind is "write what you know".

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first performance was at a place called The La Taza Coffee House. I was quite excited! Every ones first show is a little shaky however, I will always cherish that memory. Its amazing how far I have come since then! Practice makes a difference!

Where have you been able to perform?
 I've had the privilege to be able to perform at places around Texas such as, many festivals, fairs,school carnivals, coffee shops and clubs. Most recently I have played at the famous Eddies Attic,  as well as other places such as The Crimson Moon, and Eddie Owen Presents at the Red Clay Theater.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
All of my songs come from my personal experiences. However, I continue to write and sing because I love to see peoples reactions when the connect and relate to one of my songs. It's incredible to see and feel the connection with the audience. That's one of my favorite parts about performing and writing my own music.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
The one place I want to play is Madison Square Garden. Its my dream to sell it out and play my own headlining show! I'll get there one day! Plus, You can never dream too big!

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
I would love the chance to perform with Carrie Underwood, Scotty McCreery, or Justin Bieber. All three of them are extremely talented artist who have worked so hard for everything they have. It would be an honor to be able to sing alongside of them.

What are some of your goals for your Music?
My main goal for my music is to change lives. If  I could give someone the strength to get out of bed or smile or make it through the day, that would be more than enough for me. I want to give back using my music!

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I want my music to Inspire people and kids to follow their dreams and to never let anything or anyone get in their way of achieving them. Everyone has a chance in this world. Everyone has a dream. They just have to make the choice to follow it or let it pass them by.

Mary, do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! That is one thing I cannot stress enough! Also, a wise man once said, "You'll never go anywhere sitting in your bedroom." Get out there any chance you get! NEVER be afraid to share your music.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
All of my music is a part of me! So when you are hearing one of my songs, it's like you are learning a part of my past. I love being able to connect and get to know people and using my music is my favorite way of doing that! Also I am always writing new music so new songs will continue to come your way!

You can check out Mary Kate Farmer by going to her official sites listed below.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/marykatefarmer?fref=ts
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MaryKateFarmer
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/marykatefarmer98
Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/marykatefarmer

Mary Kate Farmer is a very talented 16 year old Singer/Songwriter that has a very bright future ahead in the music industry. Please check out this amazing Singer/Songwriter by going to one of her official sites. Here is a taste of her singing below.



Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Mary Kate Farmer as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment