Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Alice Limoges Singer/Songwriter

Musician Spotlight: Alice Limoges Singer/Songwriter
BY: David Mills
Rockport, ME - Our newest "Musician Spotlight" is on a musician that got our attention by her unique voice. In this "Musician Spotlight" we are featuring Alice Limoges from the coastal Maine town of Rockport. We share with you all what you should know about this wonderful singer, songwriter. Also, included is a Q&A we conduct with Miss. Limoges.
Alice Limoges was born in Rockport, Maine on February 23, 1995. A lover of music from infancy, Limoges began singing immediately both in local musicals and along with the music she was listening to. When she began playing guitar, songwriting was an obvious progression. She soon thereafter began playing her original music at local coffeehouses and other gigs such as Rock City, the Camden Public Library, and Paolina's way. She released her debut album, Not Gonna Fall Asleep Tonight (available online on iTunes and Amazon and physical copies can be purchased at Zoot Coffee or Harbor Audio Video in Camden) in 2011 and is working on her second album now.


What age were you when you started singing?
I've sung forever, I have no idea when I began.

Was it your dream growing up to be a singer?
I loved singing and I think that deep down it might have been, but I kept telling myself that it was a silly dream and tried to ground myself with more realistic goals like being president. 

Who inspires you with your singing?
My influences include the Beatles, Andrew Bird, KT Tunstall, Bob Dylan, Billie Holiday, and Cole Porter. I find that I am inspired more by people to songwrite rather than to sing.

Do you have the support of your parents and friends?
Definitely, I would never be confident in my musical abilities without such a fabulous support system.

Explain your style of singing to our readers?
I blend a lot of Jazz influence with my unique voice. I just try to transfer as much emotion into my voice as I can. I find it difficult to characterize a voice because they are so universal. 

Do you write your own songs?
I do indeed, all of the songs off my my album are original. If I perform a song I've written, it's so creative and organic and I feel so proud. Singing a cover leaves a lot to be desired for me.

If you write your own songs, is it easy to come up with lyrics?
It depends. Sometimes the words feel like they'd already been written and have manifested in my head, waiting to be lined up on paper. Other times, I struggle. It is so difficult to write a song that is true that will be able to take you somewhere time and again.

Out of all the songs you wrote, what is your favorite and why?
My favorite some on my album is by far Dream. I feel like it covers such depth of emotion. The song was inspired by a boy at my school who was blind, but had been able to see in his youth. He read a poem about only being able to see in dreams. I combined his message and tried to make a fairly universal song about longing and barriers, feeling alone and disconnected in a room full of people. The combination of that and the haunting melody and changes between the verses and chorus and bridge make it a song that stays fresh in my head and takes me on a journey of memory and emotion every time I perform it.

Is it hard to be a singer and songwriter going to School?
School often seems like a waste of time and is frustrating due to that. It's next to impossible figuring out how chemistry and math will help me in the real world, but I love english and history. The ideas and subject matter is often very inspiring and thought provoking. I've always been someone who likes having a lot on my plate, so I don't find it that difficult to juggle music and school. Music manages to schedule itself when you least expect it. After a long day, you might be about to fall into bed, but the idea of a guitar pulls you up and reenergizes you and you end up writing a song.

Tell me, where was the biggest venue you performed at?
I haven't played that many gigs yet, but at my CD release party at rock city, the place was completely overflowing. It was a wonderful time.

Is being a singer/songwriter hard living in Mid-Coast, Maine and why?
Yes and no. It often feels like there are no opportunities to play anywhere. Hardly any restaurants have live entertainment and there aren't a lot of places to gain experience and see how you'll do in the real world. I also feel like since where I live is such a "small-town-we-all-know-each-other" kind of place, it will be hard to gauge my ability to network by how I do here. At the same time, everyone supports me completely here, which is wonderful.

What do you hope to accomplish with your music in the future?
I would like to be able to make my living via my music, be it by touring, being a back up musician, singing in any way, or being a music teacher. College will definitely be in the mix too. Even if I can't make my complete livelihood through music, it will always be an integral part of my life. Music is something that gets into you and can't get out.

Who are your favorite singers and why?
My favorite singers are from the 30's, 40's, and 50's jazz era. Singers like Billie Holiday, Edith Piaf, Ella Fitzgerald, and Frank Sinatra are absolutely inspiring. Their voices take you to other worlds and make you feel things you didn't know could exist. 

What would you say to those that want to become singers?
Go for it. If you truly love it, sing as much as you can. Sing to escape and to live. Sing.

Do you have anything else you want to say to our readers? 
I hope you like my music and find your very own inherent music within yourself.



We thank Alice for answering our questions as she has a unique style of music and singing. It will be worth watching to see where Alice's singing/songwriting will take her in the future. What is certain is that she is a wonderful singer/songwriter.


You can listen to Alice singing by going to her Musician page on Facebook by clicking here.


Our next "Musician Spotlight" will be featuring Boston-based Musicians Michael & Marisa on Monday, Nova Scotia-based Makayla Lynn on Friday and Maine-based The Veayo Twins on Monday, March 5th.

Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Alice Limoges as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

Rocky Coast News
Reporter, David Mills
Rockland, ME 04841

Rocky Coast News is a division of Rocky Coast Media delivering Nautical, Community & Entertainment News

No comments:

Post a Comment